Thursday, March 1, 2018

#CharactersTell Main Characters: Interview with June Parker

Hello there, #CharactersTell crowd!
February is gone, and with the new month, a new cycle of interviews comes right along with the questions on Twitter!

June's looking gorgeous too!



Getting us back in the swing of things with another Main Character is the talented author Rebecca Yelland, who brings to the table June Parker, the protagonist of her "Dancing at Midnight". The book is an emotional adventure with amazing reviews on Amazon, and you should totally go and check it out! You can find it following this link!






She has a fun smile too!



You can find Rebecca Yelland on Twitter (where you should totally follow her) and she has a very snazzy site as well, that you can find here! She's an amazing, fun person and I had a blast doing this interview!








But enough talking! Let's get to know June a bit more, shall we?

------

And we’re back to a main character! Hopefully, I won’t have you cuss me off like Zoe did last month...Can you introduce yourself, the book you’re from and your author to us?

My name is June Parker. I’m from the book, Dancing at Midnight by Rebecca Yelland.

A pleasure to meet you June! Thank you for joining us today. Can you tell us a bit more about yourself, and the world you live in? And do you like dancing at midnight?

I was born during the Great Depression. I’ve had an eventful life. The book is about my story as told in journal format. The title refers to a special moment in the book. (spoiler)

Then let’s leave the meaning of the title for the readers to find out~ So! The Great Depression? That’s an interesting period to live in, it must not have been easy in an era like this… How are you living it? How do you get by?

No, it wasn’t easy. My life took a turn of painful events. I ended up in an orphanage for a brief time. All of this a secret to the daughter who found my journals after my death.

Oh, so is this how we’re going to follow you in your steps? Condolences by the way...I...guess. Did you always have a penchant for writing a journal? Or did something happen that made you want to start one?

This is the only journal I’ve ever written. It was for a specific purpose during a certain point in my life. The why and how are part of the mystery for the reader.

And what about the who’s? You said you’ve spent some time in an orphanage and had some clearly interesting times in your life. Did you make many friends? They do say there’s strength in numbers...or did you tend to stay more on your own?

My father was a musician who refused any work that wasn’t such. My mother work as a nurse supporting our family. After a while she kicked him out thinking our life would be better. Then she lost her job and couldn’t find work. She had no choice but to place me in the orphanage. I met two people there that would be my source of strength through adulthood.

I’m glad you managed to find someone who would stand by you after such hardships. And do you like music? Does it keep a good spot in your heart or did you try to distance yourself from it due to how it had your parents split?

I’ve never really thought about music one way or another. I adored my father. I didn’t understand at the time why my mother threw him out. Despite our hardships, he gave me a special gift on my birthday. A stuffed bunny that I kept forever to remember him.

Oh! So despite everything you did manage to keep a heart for cuddly and fluffy things - have you ever wanted to expand your collection of stuffed animals?

My mother married again when I was 10 and took me out of the orphanage. My stepfather was very wealthy, but very evil. When I first came to their new house, my room was filled with dolls, toys and stuffed animals. It was a high price to pay for the abuse I would endure there. Only my father’s bunny meant anything to me.

I can understand that. Gifts to just make gifts are meaningless, if there’s no affection behind them. And what about you? What’s the best gift you made to someone?

I can’t say for who (spoiler), but I made a message book for someone with a note of encouragement for each day they would be away from me.

Awwwh! That sounds absolutely adorable and gorgeous! Now for something a bit different - what did you do for a living?

After I left - or rather escaped - my mother’s house at 17, I was reunited with my friends from the orphanage and got a job as a server in the dining room at a mountain resort. It was the best time of our lives.

Oh dear that ties so very well with what I wanted to ask next! We’re entering March, and with it we’re getting towards springtime...What’s your favourite season?

Summer. I will never forget our summer together at the resort.

Sounds like you had a blast that summer. And what about being outside? Do you prefer swimming or hiking?

Not so much hiking. But I took many lone walks around the lake there and found my own quiet place to think.

That’s lovely. And are the owners of the resort treating you well?

Yes. They even kept me and my friends on during the off season so we’d have employment.

I’m so glad to hear that! It sounds like you really found a great place to be after you ran from your mother’s house. With all that happened it’s good to know you had such high points. Do you have any vices? Bit of a glutton? Or something else?

No. I’m a gentle soul and very self-disciplined.

Discipline is a good thing. And you sound very mature and centered as well. Did you ever have to act as the strict one with your friends? You know, keep them in line?

No. I admired my friends for their boldness and spontaneity. I actually wanted to be more like them.

Have you ever tried? Without counting the running away, it sounds like that was a necessity more than just spontaneity… did you ever do a crazy thing just for the fun of it?

Not really. They were the masterminds and I loved to go along.

Well, can’t wait to read about your adventures with them then! I’m afraid our time is almost over for today...anything you’d like to say to our readers before saying goodbye?

We’ve only hit the halfway point of my story. Many tragedies follow later. Because of that, my personality becomes withdrawn and misunderstood. When someone experiences excessive trauma in their lives it can affect the way the interact with others. Especially their children. My daughter never understood me because I hid this part of my life from her. You never really know someone until you know their story.

And I’m glad your author is going to share your story to us, so we, along your daughter, will get to know the whole you. Thank you again for your time, June! It’s been an absolute pleasure having you here with us today. We’ll see you on our bookshelves soon!

Thank you for having me. I hope someone can learn something from my story.

------

And this is it for our first week of March! Getting to know June was amazing, and she sounds like she has quite the interesting and powerful story to share, so be sure to go and read it!
Remember: if you want YOUR character to be interviewed here on the blog, just send me a direct message on Twitter! You can find the link to do just that on the right sidebar, along with all the other links!
With that, I bid you all a good evening!
Toodles~

No comments:

Post a Comment

#CharactersTell Main Character Week - Interview with Elle Deschampes

Wow...well, September has been a bit of an eventful month in RL for me, but we're luckily back to our regular schedule - and not only th...